Interested in learning how to build a life and business around doing what you love? So am I. Let’s connect.
I met today’s guest (for a second) 10 years ago on one of the biggest days of my football career: Pro Day at Ohio State.
I was super intimidated by the amazing athletes on the field, including the incredible AJ Hawk.
I had followed his awesome career and wanted to be like him both on the field and off.
Little did I know that ten years later I would be interviewing him on my podcast The School of Greatness.
Needless to say, I was PUMPED I got to meet and talk to AJ (who also interviewed me for his podcast!).
It turns out we have a lot more in common than just being two Ohio boys who played football.
AJ is one of the hardest working, most humble guys in the League and I could have talked to him for hours (this episode goes on for a while as is).
We talk about family, what his kids have taught him, how he navigates the mental highs and lows of playing pro sports, and what he wants to create next in his life and career.
We go deep at the end (defying the stereotype that all football players are meatheads).
And I even try a little beatboxing, so stay tuned 🙂
It is a huge honor for me to welcome NFL Linebacker AJ Hawk to Episode 149.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- What did you learn about yourself on Pro Day when you got tested on everything you’d worked for?
- When was the moment you decided you were going to be in the NFL?
- What have been your training rituals through the seasons (high school, college, pro)?
- What are the top 3 lessons you’ve learned about yourself in the 9 years you’ve been playing in the NFL?
- If you could write the last chapter of your NFL career, what would it be?
- Is there a common thread among the best elite athletes?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- The power of giving your all to a situation that matters (instead of pulling back and rationalizing)
- How athletes now pick their college based on their likelihood of getting drafted from there
- Why he enjoyed early morning workouts in high school
- How his kids empower him
- Why every athlete has to take care of his body (even if he’s naturally talented)
- The mental/emotional highs and lows of being an athlete
- The importance of having variety in your friend pool
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- The HawkCast – my interview is the most recent one up!
- Adrian Peterson
- Tim Ferriss
- Pat Flynn
- Joe Rogan
- Awesome Will Smith video
- FOLLOW AJ
- Check out Onnit and their optimal performance products. Use the code “greatness” to get 10% off your next order:
- Music Credit: Kasai by Eruku & Hansel Thorn
You may also like these episodes:
- UFC Heavyweight Brendan Schaub on Fighting, Mindset, and Chasing Your Dream (No Matter What!)
- David Anderson: From NFL to the Business World
- The Power of Belief – How World Class Athletes Outperform the Competition
Did you enjoy the podcast?
As I mentioned (a few times), this interview was a dream come true for me. AJ is such a hero of mine and I can’t wait to chop wood with him in Ohio. Has your opinion of football players changed after listening to our conversation?