If you’re like me, you want to make the world a better place and contribute to good causes.
Living a life of service is one of the core 8 principles of greatness after all.
But have you wondered what the best places to give to are?
And how much to give?
And where your money goes?
I’m guessing yes. I have.
That’s why I was excited to talk to today’s guest on The School of Greatness, Will MacAskill.
Will is a pretty remarkable guy, not to mention a professor at Oxford (while still in his 20s!) and the founder of a couple of non-profits that are based in helping people choose the best career to allow them to do good in the world.
I asked Will all kinds of questions about the best ways to give, who needs our help the most, and how to determine if a charity you are considering is a good one.
Will also shared his incredible pledge to donate all of his income, for life, past about $35,000 a year to charity. And he’s not the only one doing this.
Get ready to have your mindset around doing good and giving altered for the better in Episode 253 with Will MacAskill.
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher Radio or TuneIn
The School of Greatness Podcast
“So much of convincing people has nothing to do with the arguments you are giving.”
Some questions I ask:
- What does “effective altruism” mean?
- How do you maximize your service?
- What did you learn about yourself when you were fundraising for charities by asking people on the street?
- Is there ever a wrong way to give?
- Do you think it’s better to donate anonymously or publicly?
- What’s a good average amount for a standard family to give annually, whether it’s time or money?
- What are the top 2 or 3 things to check out when deciding whether to give to a certain non-profit?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How you can hack doing good like you can life hack
- It only costs $5 to protect 2 children for 2 years from malaria (by buying a bed net)
- The 5 Core Principles of Effective Altruism
- For any action, think of how many people benefit from that action and by how much
- Ask yourself, “Is this the most effective thing I can do?”
- Identify if that area of service is neglected
- Ask yourself, “What would have happened otherwise?”
- Determine the probability of success and how great the success will be
- The problem with the attitude of self-sacrifice in charitable work
- How just over 1,000 people have pledged to give over a half billion dollars to charity over their lifetimes
- Why Will advises giving 10% of your income to charity early on in your life
- How to think of your career choice as an ethical one (instead of just how to make a living)
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
Website | Twitter
- Check out Trim and their awesome shirts for fit men. Use the code “greatness20” to get 20% off your next order:
GET YOUR COPY (OR COPIES!) OF THE SCHOOL OF GREATNESS BOOK HERE HTTP://GREATNESSBOOK.COM
You may also like these episodes:
Did you enjoy the podcast?
Wow, Will’s message is so inspiring and empowering. How are you going to do good better after listening to him?
“Helping others can and should be a significant part of what makes for a meaningful life.”