Interested in learning how to build a life and business around doing what you love? So am I. Let’s connect.
Today’s guest on The School of Greatness is the founder of an incredible organization called charity: water. His goal is to bring clean water to 100 million people who don’t have close access to it right now.
But he didn’t always have this goal.
In fact, he spent a decade of his early life partying in glamorous nightclubs around the world, thinking only of himself.
Until he stopped, turned his life around, and began to think about others.
5 million of those 100 million now have direct access to clean water thanks to Scott Harrison and the amazing team and donors supporting charity: water.
I was honored and inspired to interview Scott and hear the powerful story of his personal transformation as well as the people his organization has been able to help.
I am a huge believer in the power of service (if you couldn’t tell already). Getting involved in giving that is meaningful to you is an essential part of greatness.
Be prepared to be brought to your knees by this inspiring conversation with charity: water founder Scott Harrison in Episode 117.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- What made you leave your successful club promoter job?
- What was the most surprising thing you learned about humanity during your initial two years of humanitarian work in Africa?
- Why is service such a key to happiness, fulfillment, and living a great life?
- Does service need to be part of your daily life in order to be fully happy?
- How did you present yourself to donors to instill that much confidence into your organization?
- Do you ever get flack from people for focusing on service outside of the U.S. when we need it inside the country as well?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- 8 years ago 1 billion people on the planet didn’t have access to clean water – now it’s down to 740 million
- The insatiable desire for MORE and how we can channel that selfishly or selflessly
- Why it’s important to use your unique gifts in your service work
- How he created the birthday movement around charity: water
- It only takes about $10,000 to build a well
- They have helped 5 million people get clean water and raised over $150 million
- 100% of donations go towards building the wells
- What happened when they ran out of money to pay their staff
- Where a mix of vision, vulnerability and honesty will get you
- They are in the top 300 charities in America (based on size)
- How things ARE getting better in developing countries – the contributions are making a difference
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Yanik Silver
- Generosity water
- Pencils of Promise
- Simon Sinek’s TED talk
- Go to charitywater.org/birthdays to pledge your next birthday
- FOLLOW SCOTT and charity: water
Have you signed up for The School of Greatness Academy yet? This is my six-month online course and mastermind that will change your life and business. If you have what it takes, apply today! I want to see you make something great. 🙂
- Music Credit: Tell Me Why (Walden Remix) by Supermode
You may also like these episodes:
- How an Ordinary Person Can Create Extraordinary Change with Adam Braun
- The 3 Keys to Designing a Life You Wouldn’t Trade for Anything
- The 10 Essential Truths to Upgrade Your Life (and Crush 2015!)
Did you enjoy the podcast?
I am re-inspired to work harder to be able to give more after talking to Scott. Our conversation reminded me how much I love helping others come into their greatness. This”why” is behind everything I am doing. What’s your why?