When a 60 foot rogue wave crashed into the ship, everyone on board thought they were going to die.
This week on The School of Greatness, the founder of Pencils of Promise shares the story of how this near death experience inspired him to make his mark on the world.
Pencils of Promise was born then and has gone on to build 200 schools and positively impacted 200,000 lives. In this interview we talk about what it takes to be an ordinary person, have an idea and turn it into something extraordinary.
Welcome to episode 56 with the amazing social entrepreneur, Adam Braun.
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher Radio or TuneIn
The School of Greatness Podcast
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- About the schools Pencils of Promise has built
- The powerful impact of bringing Mozambicans into the family
- About Adam’s life and death experience while on a Semester at Sea
- The single question revealed in such a deep purpose
- The value of a definite purpose
- How lessons learned at Bain Capital supported the creation of PoP
- To infuse your work with purpose
- About the humble beginnings of Pencils of Promise
- Finding the courage to pursue your passion
- To shift your way of being to create your vision
- About the physical existence of ideas
- To cultivate honesty while thriving in uncertainty
- How to build a remarkable business and team of volunteers
- About the massive results that can be found outside of the comfort zone
- The first step when finding ones purpose
- What it means to “Never take a ‘No’ from someone who can’t say ‘Yes'”
- Keys to getting in front of the decision makers and persuading them
- The power of vulnerability when growing a business
- How to get out of your own way for massive results
- Plus much more…
“I am so familiar with the imminence of my mortality that it forces me to embrace every day.”
Continue Seeking Greatness:
Join our Team – Build a School
- Baraka – The movie that inspired Adam
- But Adam’s Book – The Promise of a Pencil
- Connect with Adam on Twitter
- Learn more about Pencils of Promise
- Learn more about Semester at Sea
- Music Credit: Imogen Heap – Wait It Out (Artec Remix)
Did you enjoy the podcast?
Adam said, “If you speak the language of the person you seek to become, that will move you in the direction that you want to be.” I encourage you to take a look at the language you are currently using and start speaking from the person you want to be. Share in the comments section below the story or takeaway that inspired you the most from this interview. If you’d like to support me in building my next school then please make a donation here and lets be “ordinary” and change the world together 🙂
let us know your thoughts