When I started talking to today’s guest, I couldn’t believe he was a Congressman.
We were talking about whole foods and mindfulness practices.
He was explaining brain science to me and how kids get PTSD.
But that is exactly what Representative Tim Ryan (from my home state of Ohio!) is making his focus as he serves in the House of Representatives.
This man has not only served in Congress for 12 years, he has written two books, started mindfulness programs in Ohio schools, and is working with local farmers to get their produce to the places that need it the most – their local communities.
If you’ve been feeling powerless about politics lately, you’ll get a huge pick me up in Episode 102 of The School of Greatness.
In this powerful interview, Tim Ryan and I discuss how we can change our country’s health, mentally and physically, starting with ourselves and our communities.
The School of Greatness Podcast
In This Episode, You Will Discover:
- About the grant Tim secured to teach mindfulness in local schools and the shocking results
- Why we need to base our teaching methods on the latest brain science
- How kids get and can deal with PTSD
- The importance of teaching basic life skills in school
- My story of getting chubby post-football and how I recognized my sugar addiction
- What inspired Tim to get behind this issue
- How current school lunches are setting kids up to fail
- The current system of food subsidies that use tax-payer dollars to support junk food
- His vision of how to change the current food system
- The connection between eating processed food and our major health problems
- The effect of technology and being over-informed on our health
- His thoughts on GMOs and labeling
- How to combat food deserts with urban farming
- The changes we can make in schools to teach kids how to eat and cook well
- The current programs that are running in Ohio and the results
- The importance of getting the right officials in office and positions of influence
- The power of individual networks to get the word out
- The terrifying statistic that this is the first generation expected to live shorter than their parents (and less healthily)
- Basic tips for how to improve your diet
- The alarming decline of bees (and what “robobees” are)
- His priorities for the next 10 years to change our food and health situation
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- See how you can get involved with the American Heart Association or Whole Kids Foundation
- Pick up Tim’s book on mindfulness A Mindful Nation: How a Simple Practice Can Help Us Reduce Stress, Improve Performance, and Recapture the American Spirit
- Buy the new book The Real Food Revolution: Healthy Eating, Green Groceries, and the Return of the American Family Farm
- Follow Congressman Ryan to keep up with his work
- Check out Onnit and their optimal performance products. Use the code “greatness” to get 10% off your next order:
- Music Credit: Feel by Twine
Did you enjoy the podcast?
I could have talked to Tim for hours about what needs to change in our schools and in our lifestyles. What impacted you most from what he said? Do you agree with his ideas? Comment away.