How many times have you let your ego get the better of you?
I know I have too many times to count.
And it seems like the more I learn about it, the more fascinating it becomes to me.
But that doesn’t mean I’ve mastered my ego yet.
That’s why I love talking to my good friend Ryan Holiday. He has been studying and writing about Stoic philosophy for years, so he knows a lot about ego.
In fact, he just wrote a book about it.
I had to have him back on The School of Greatness for his second episode so we could talk about the best strategies for understanding and mastering ego.
We also got into how ego is tied to purpose and why so many people get distracted by following their passion.
This was especially interesting because so many people talk about how finding your passion is the most important thing. But Ryan turns this around.
Get ready to think about your ego and your purpose in a whole new way in Episode 352.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- Why is it so hard for us to get over our differences with people? (7:01)
- When’s a moment in your life that ego ruined you the most? (12:00)
- What’s the line between confidence and ego? (16:36)
- Why are humility and reality the cure for the symptoms of ego? (18:40)
- Why do you say not to be passionate? (23:40)
- How do you get out of your own head? (32:33)
- Where have you seen my ego get in the way of my life? (40:00)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Ryan’s definition of what ego is (5:53)
- The danger of thinking you know more than you actually do (13:10)
- How telling the truth can put you in a position of power (21:30)
- The steps to finding your purpose (25:20)
- Why thinking small is often the best way to start (34:03)
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Ego Is the Enemy
- Cyril Connolly
- The Great Beanie Baby Bubble: Mass Delusion and the Dark Side of Cute
- Tucker Max
- James Baldwin
- Will MacAskill
- Anne Lamott
- George Marshall
- Life Is Sport
- Check out Bench, bookkeeping done for you, and get 20% off your first 6 months at https://bench.co/greatness
- Check out DesignCrowd to get bids on your perfect custom design at http://www.designcrowd.com/greatness
JOIN ME IN OCTOBER FOR THE SUMMIT OF GREATNESS!! REGISTER HERE
- Music Credit: Adventures by A Himitsu
You may also like these episodes:
- The Philosophical Guide to Turning Trials Into Triumph with Ryan Holiday
- Taye Diggs: Manage Your Ego by Living in Gratitude
- Rainn Wilson on Acting, Spirituality and Living Your Purpose
Did you enjoy the podcast?
How has your ego gotten in your way?