The more I learn about the brain, the more fascinated I am by it.
Things I used to think were just a mystery (like what makes us happy and what makes us sad) I’m now learning are totally controllable.
So I was really excited to talk to one of the leading neuroscience psychologists in the field today.
Dr. Rick Hanson has written multiple best-selling books about how to actually hardwire our brains to stay in the positive side of thought and feeling.
Which is something I’m always looking to bring to The School of Greatness.
In our conversation, I kept asking him questions related to my own experiences with emotional intelligence, positive thought, and the power we have to shift ourselves out of negative emotions and thought patterns.
Everything Rick shared with me confirmed my own experience and what I’ve learned from other experts.
What I especially loved learning this time was how important it is to slow down and consciously enjoy the good times (something I have struggled with in the past) because it actually helps reinforce those positive brain waves in the hardwiring of our brains.
This is just one gem I picked up from my fascinating interview with brain genius Dr. Rick Hanson in Episode 207.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- Are most people holding onto negative experiences from the past more so than the positive that happens daily?
- What are the 4 steps to taking in the good?
- What is a good process to follow to break negative thoughts?
- What is the brain capable of creating in the world?
- What is the optimal daily ritual to keep the positive thoughts going?
- What has a bigger effect on the other: the mind on the heart or the heart on the mind?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Rick has been meditating since the ’90s (that’s a lot of meditating)
- How the hard wiring of our brains affects us
- Why having good experiences constantly in romantic relationships is so important to keep them healthy
- The enjoy-ability of an experience is an important signal to your brain to slow down and value the good
- What causes lasting change in behavior and mindset
- Step 1: Activation – a useful thought or experience to get things going
- Step 2: Installation – a method for actually getting the experience to stick in your brain
- Have the experience
- Enrich the experience
- Absorb the experience
- Link the experience
- We can learn certain important things only through negative experiences
- The importance of acknowledging the good in your life (and not just the bad)
- The feeling of a reward is much more powerful than just the idea of one
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence
- Buddha’s Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom
- Foundations of Well Being
- FOLLOW RICK
- Check out Onnit and their optimal performance products. Use the code “greatness” to get 10% off your next order:
TEXT “GREATNESS” TO 33444 TO GET ADDED TO THE EARLY BIRD BOOK PREVIEW LIST! (OR VISIT HTTP://GREATNESSBOOK.COM)
- Music Credit: Bounce Back! by Intelligence Dubstep
You may also like these episodes:
- How to Protect and Heal Your Brain, Reverse Injury, and Overcome Disorders
- 3 Ways to Master Your Memory and Unlock Your Inner Superhero
- How to Meditate Like a Zen Monk in a Fraction of the Time
Did you enjoy the podcast?
So much of what I have been learning about emotions, the mind, and the power of positive thinking was reinforced by what Rick said. I LOVE it. What did you learn or confirm?