If you’ve ever watched a movie like The Expendables, or even a UFC fight, you know that those are what society sees as the definition of masculinity.
But what is the other side of toughness? Is there a place for vulnerability and feelings as well?
That’s what I got to talk about with today’s guest on The School of Greatness.
Randy Couture is one of the toughest men on the planet. He’s been wrestling and fighting for decades in the biggest arenas. His legendary status is all about being a man.
But it turns out he’s also one of the kindest, most compassionate, patient and vulnerable men I’ve ever met.
Since I love this topic, we dove deep in our interview and Randy shared many stories of what shaped him into the man he is today.
We discussed how he became a champion wrestler and fighter and how he transitioned that into an acting career.
And we got into how he managed his relationships and being a parent through it all.
If you aren’t sure if men can be vulnerable and strong, listen up in Episode 335 with Randy Couture.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- What does it mean to be “a man?” (4:05)
- Do you think most guys in the UFC are there for competition or to get out aggression? (6:36)
- How is your mental preparation different for a wrestling match versus a cage fight? (12:43)
- How has MMA and wrestling impacted your personal relationships? (28:22)
- What does “toughness” mean to you? (35:27)
- What do you teach your sons about masculinity? (46:07)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- The story of when Randy wrestled in Cuba in the 90s in front of Fidel Castro (and won) (14:30)
- Why just missing getting on the Olympic wrestling team motivated Randy (16:03)
- The preparation process Randy went through before every UFC fight (20:25)
- How to navigate the challenges of being a single parent when you live away from your kids (31:30)
- What happens when grown men cry during intense physical training (39:32)
- The effect of boxing your emotions as a man (41:45)
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Check out my new favorite mattress, Leesa, and get a 100 day risk-free trial and $75 off your order at http://leesa.com/greatness
JOIN ME IN OCTOBER FOR THE SUMMIT OF GREATNESS!! REGISTER HERE
- Music Credit: Daemon by Sauniks
You may also like these episodes:
- UFC Heavyweight Brendan Schaub on Fighting, Mindset, and Chasing Your Dream (No Matter What!)
- How to Escape Fear, Defend an Attack, and Turn Your Mind Into a Powerful Weapon
- Kyle Maynard: The No Excuse Approach to Success
Did you enjoy the podcast?
Wow. How do you see masculinity differently now after listening to Randy?