Usually when I think of epic war movies, I think of films like Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers.
But I never thought about what went into making those films so believable and powerful until this episode of The School of Greatness.
It turns out most of the Hollywood war movies that have come out in the last 20 years have a common thread among them.
The actors were either trained by or acting alongside a true soldier, Captain Dale Dye.
This man not only served in the US Marines for 22 years, he received 3 Purple Hearts for his injuries sustained while in Vietnam, and he dedicated a second career to bringing realistic depictions of war to Hollywood screens.
Obviously, he’s a fascinating guy to interview. But I learned much more than I anticipated.
Dale has seen so much in his life – the best and worst of humanity – and his wisdom never stopped during the whole conversation.
I got to learn about how to face fear, what makes a true man, how men and women ideally relate to each other, and so much more.
I’d love to hear your thoughts on what Dale shares because he makes no apologies for his perspectives.
Considering what an incredible life he has lived, I don’t think he has to. Join us and see for yourself in Episode 364.
The School of Greatness Podcast
“One of the great things about being a leader is you tend to forget about yourself.”
Some questions I ask:
- Why do you love leading people? (6:19)
- How do you get to the point where you don’t show fear? (16:29)
- Is emotional strength or physical strength more important? (20:40)
- Was it hard to move from being a solider to being an actor? (21:51)
- What was it like when more women starting joining the military? (24:17)
- How has the military affected your ability to form relationships? (38:21)
- Why do you think people are fighting societal roles so much now? (43:31)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- What Dale enjoyed about Marine bootcamp (2:50)
- How to get through super stressful times like combat (9:39)
- The story behind how Dale learned to conquer fear (13:03)
- Dale’s tips for facing a big challenge in day to day life (17:45)
- The men who are surprisingly inspiring in the army (20:03)
- Dale’s experience of managing emotions while in military service (27:01)
- What Dale would tell a 20 year old guy about what it means to be a man (39:34)
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Check out Bench, bookkeeping done for you, and get 20% off your first 6 months at https://bench.co/greatness
- Check out DesignCrowd to get bids on your perfect custom design at http://www.designcrowd.com/greatness
JOIN ME IN OCTOBER FOR THE SUMMIT OF GREATNESS!! REGISTER HERE
- Music Credit: Sunshine by Extan
You may also like these episodes:
- Randy Couture on Becoming World Champion and the Modern Man
- How to Escape Fear, Defend an Attack, and Turn Your Mind Into a Powerful Weapon
- How to Overcome Fear and Dive Into Flow with Donald Schultz
Did you enjoy the podcast?
Dale is the real deal. I learned so much from him in this conversation. What did you learn?
“Love bigger than you hate.”