The fourth episode of The School of Greatness is with 2008 Olympic Gold medalist for the decathlon, Bryan Clay.
As a former All-American decathlete, I used to study film on Bryan and follow his every move. He was a legend to me on the track, but once I began to know him as a man I had a completely different level of respect for him.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Here are some interesting Facts about Bryan Clay:
- Born in Austin, TX and raised in Kaneohe, Hawaii
- He had his name and picture on the Wheaties box for participating in the Bejing Olympics
- He won silver in 2004 Olympics and finished first at the 2005 World Championships
- Gold Winner at 2008 Beijing Olympics (Decathalon),
- The Decathlon champion is referred to as the “World’s Greatest Athlete”
The reason why Bryan is such a special individual to me is because I always wanted to be an All-American athlete and going into my senior year of college I was inspired by Bryan’s achievements at the Olympics in 2004. I found every video I could on him so I could break down his technique and study how he became so successful in his craft.
Along with having an amazing coach, he was the guy that I followed to learn how to perform in the decathlon.
We have a special segment of this episode called: Ask the Coach. In it, I ask Bryan’s coach, Kevin Reid, what makes Bryan so coachable and capable of such greatness.
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- What Bryan’s Coach, Kevin Reed Considers the KEYS to his Success
- How Bryan got involved in the decathalon
- What led to Bryan’s depression and anger in his youth
- About the moment when he realized that he was the best in the world
- What drives him to keep working to be the best
- About the foundation he built to “Build Champions and Change Lives”
- About Clay’s religious faith and how he attained it
- To understand, “we won’t change until the process of change looks better than where we’re currently at”
- Whether he puts a stronger faith in himself or in God
- If “God really cares”
- About the importance of medals to champions
- The biggest setbacks for Clay and his journey
- The best moment for Clay in his track career
- Plus, much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Learn more at Bryan Clay’s Website or his USA Track & Field Profile
- If you’re in the Los Angeles area in late November come to Bryan’s event: Fit4Fall
- Give to the Bryan Clay efforts to build champions: Bryan Clay Foundation
- You can learn about Bryan’s Coach, Kevin Reid here
Did you enjoy the podcast?
What’s something in your life where you’ve had to overcome a major challenge to get to where you are today? Please share in the comments section below.