Want to build a life and business around your passion? Me too. Let’s connect.
As you probably know, I am very competitive.
I love winning, especially in sports.
So when I met today’s guest on The School of Greatness several years ago, we hit it off immediately.
Because Than Merrill is very competitive as well.
He played football for the NFL and then went on to create the powerhouse real estate business FortuneBuilders.
But what I love about Than is that he and I can meet up at his house and have a great conversation, as if the most important part of the day is who wins our next ping pong game (to be determined – we’re currently tied).
Than has taught me so much over the years about how to build a successful business and I’ve watched him scale his from 30 employees to over 300 in just a few years.
I wanted to bring him on the podcast because I know scaling your business can be one of the most challenging obstacles entrepreneurs face.
However, when I asked Than for his best advice on this, we ended up talking about how to hire the right team and empower them to make decisions for you.
This whole conversation is a gold mine for anyone in business.
Welcome to the brilliant mind and heart of my good friend Than Merrill in Episode 161.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- What are some of the big lessons that translated from sports to what you’re doing now?
- What are some of the biggest mistakes you see entrepreneurs make when trying to scale?
- How do you set up a good environment for your employees if you, as the boss, are working from home?
- How do you manage decision fatigue as an entrepreneur?
- How do you find the best people to hire at your company?
- How important is health for you and your employees and how do you maintain top health?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How the NFL is like the military (follow orders or get cut) and how that preps you for business
- The importance of founding your business around more than just you
- How to replace yourself in doing small tasks to free up your time
- Why the leader of a company needs the clearest vision of where the business is going
- How to empower your employees to make decisions like an entrepreneur (so you don’t have to make them all)
- The importance of prioritizing your tasks at the start of the day
- Why you need coaches all throughout your career
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- The E Myth: Why Most Businesses Don’t Work and What to Do About It
- Topgrading (How To Hire, Coach and Keep A Players)
- Tony Dungy
- The Art of Happiness in a Troubled World (Art of Happiness Book)
- Awaken the Giant Within : How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial Destiny!
- Think and Grow Rich: The Landmark Bestseller – Now Revised and Updated for the 21st Century
- The Alchemist
- FOLLOW THAN
- Music Credit: Katana by Omnius
You may also like these episodes:
- How a Gang Kid Becomes a Multimillionaire Entrepreneur
- From Kitchen Table Startup to Silicon Valley Mega-success with Mikkel Svane
- How a Distance Runner Turned a Shoe Company into a Billion-Dollar Brand with Angel Martinez
Did you enjoy the podcast?
I loved connecting with Than in his home and learning from his massive wisdom on running his business. Question for you: what are your biggest challenges in managing your team or scaling your business?