Not many female entrepreneurs get on the cover of Forbes.
Not many entrepreneurs have a million dollars cash in the bank before they get investors.
Not many fashion retailers rise to the top of the market in just a few short years.
And not many community college dropouts become CEOs of hundred-million dollar companies.
But today’s guest on The School of Greatness has done all of this and more.
That’s not what’s so cool about her though.
Sophia Amoruso is the founder of the incredibly successful fashion brand Nasty Gal — which she started in her bedroom on an old Mac selling vintage clothes she bought at Goodwill on eBay.
She is now a widely recognized face and name in both the fashion and entrepreneurship worlds.
She has mastered the art of design, branding, publicity, marketing, social media, main press, book publishing, online retail, and much more to get there.
But as she told me in our interview, she credits a huge part of her success to the fact that she just kept showing up everyday. She invested in her business. She worked hard and smart. She surrounded herself with people who got her vision. She stuck with what she was good at.
Seems like a pretty simple formula, but results prove that most people don’t master it the way Sophia has.
She is an awesome inspiration to any aspiring entrepreneur and I can’t wait for you to hear from her in Episode 365.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- Why didn’t you pay yourself during the early years of your business? (11:04)
- Should new entrepreneurs focus on getting press or something else? (16:58)
- What’s the biggest challenge female entrepreneurs face right now? (34:14)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How Sophia tapped into so much great publicity from major press (12:32)
- The benefits of using your face in branding versus staying hidden (14:00)
- Why writing a book is such a good idea even if you’re already successful (20:30)
- The scary parts of being in the public eye (30:43)
- How to manage a lot of social time as an introvert (31: 15)
- Sophia’s proudest moment so far (31:30)
- What her biggest fear is in the midst of success (37:15)
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Check out DesignCrowd to get bids on your perfect custom design at http://www.designcrowd.com/greatness
JOIN ME SEPT 29 – OCT 1 FOR THE SUMMIT OF GREATNESS!! REGISTER HERE
- Music Credit: Lose Heart by Frame Away
You may also like these episodes:
- How to Build a Business and Live You Love with Marie Forleo
- Elizabeth Gilbert on Creating Big Magic and Staying Grounded
- The Power of Hustle to Create the Extraordinary with Lisa Messenger
Did you enjoy the podcast?
Sophia has such a fresh perspective on entrepreneurship and branding. What did you learn from her?