I’ve sustained A LOT of injuries in my day.
And they just keep coming.
From my football days to my current sport, team handball, athletics have always meant pain and injury.
Let’s not get into the six months I spent with a cast on my bent arm.
But what if we could avoid most, if not all, of that?
Today’s guest is someone I could talk to for hours. Kelly Starrett knows what’s up when it comes to optimal movement of the human body.
He trains the top athletes in Crossfit as well as Olympians around the world, he is an official trainer for ReebokOne and he is a NYT best-selling author.
In this episode of The School of Greatness, we discuss how sports are made to injure us, and how we can re-train ourselves to move away from that.
If you’ve ever played a sport, I know you’ll be blown away by Episode 101 with the one and only Kelly Starrett.
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher Radio or TuneIn
The School of Greatness Podcast
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- The old system of physical fitness and how it took everything from you
- What professional athletes say when asked if they’d let their kids be pro athletes
“It’s designed to get as much as we can out of you with as little input as we can give you.”
- The true nature of sport
- Why a long-term view of sport is essential
- How sport is a machine gamed against the athlete
- What kind of movement every workout should include
- Why positioning is so important in athletic movement
- The three estates of physical performance
- Why Kelly weighs himself every morning
- The basic importance of full range of motion
- The purpose of a warm up (not what you think!)
- Why he and his wife implemented standing desks in their daughter’s classroom
- Why we need to hang out the same way we work out
- Why it’s never too late to learn new form
- What “down regulation” is and how to activate it
- The importance of “sleep hygiene” and how to sleep
- The best running technique and shoe
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Pick up Kelly’s suggested favorite Power to the People! : Russian Strength Training Secrets for Every American
- Also check out his recommendation The Story of the Human Body: Evolution, Health, and Disease
- Listen to this past episode with Carl Paoli
- Check out GeneSolve to learn about body chemistry
- Buy Kelly’s books Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance and Ready to Run: Unlocking Your Potential to Run Naturally
- Follow Kelly for his WOD’s and tips
- Check out Onnit and their optimal performance products. Use the code “greatness” to get 10% off your next order:
- Music Credit: Feeling of Power by Mizer & Goetz
Did you enjoy the podcast?
Kelly is full of knowledge and inspiration on how to take care of your body. What did he say that most surprised you? What are you most inspired to change? Share and tag me on Instagram, Facebook, SoundCloud, or in the comments below!
“All good technique in the world is the expression of good physiology.”
let us know your thoughts