Interested in learning how to build a life and business around doing what you love? So am I. Let’s connect.
My friend Jon Acuff is a genius when it comes to career stuff.
He’s been on The School of Greatness before, way back when it was just starting to talk about jump starting your career.
But this time, I am bringing him back on because he’s just written a book about something we all face at one point or another: a career do-over.
No matter who you are, in today’s world, you’re going to experience some kind of career shake up.
Jon has spent a lot of time studying, experiencing, speaking, and writing about the main types of do-overs that come up in careers, and in this conversation, he covers it all.
We talk about how (massively) important relationships are to cultivate over time, how they pay off, and how to do them the right way.
He shares some of the best tips from the book, and we talk about how we both use social media.
If you haven’t heard Jon speak before, you’re in for a treat. He is not only a NYT best-selling author, but he has also consulted with some of the biggest brands out there and he is a genuinely good guy (he practices what he preaches).
Tune in because you won’t want to miss a word of what Jon Acuff says about careers in Episode 152.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- Why did you decide to write this book right now?
- What are a few skills that someone can take on during a career do-over?
- What are the two skills you wish you’d focused on 10 years ago?
- Can everyone have hustle?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- The idea of a career savings account = relationships + skills + character x hustle
- The 4 Kinds of Career Do-Overs:
- a career ceiling
- a career bump
- a career jump
- a career opportunity
- That relationships take time – think of them as marathons
- Career boomerangs – casual relationships that come back to give you opportunities later
- How relationships help you bounce back quickly from hitting rock bottom
- That it’s okay to have haters and burn a few bridges
- Why being present (in meetings, etc.) is such an important skill nowadays
- The value in having relationships with people 10 years younger than you and 10 years older than you
- The difference between friends and followers
- Generosity leads to loyalty
- Empathy is understanding someone else’s needs and acting on them
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Do Over: Rescue Monday, Reinvent Your Work, and Never Get Stuck
- Jim Gaffigan
- Rory Vaden
- Orbiting the Giant Hairball: A Corporate Fool’s Guide to Surviving with Grace
- FOLLOW JON
- Check out Onnit and their optimal performance products. Use the code “greatness” to get 10% off your next order:
- Music Credit: Back Streets Back by Dirty Audio & Jake Sgarlato
You may also like these episodes:
- How to Get Unstuck and Turn Average Into Awesome with Jon Acuff
- How to Boost Your Productivity by Procrastinating
- Show Up and Rest Up
Did you enjoy the podcast?
Jon is so smart about careers and making your relationships worthwhile. I love talking to him about this stuff. Which of the 4 career do-overs have you experienced most recently?