Want to build a life and business around doing what you love? Me too. Let’s connect.
One of the best parts of my job as host of The School of Greatness is learning from guys like Jay Papasan.
I get to talk, one on one, with some of the most brilliant minds in the world on topics that effect my everyday life.
The only thing better than that is being able to share it with all of you.
Jay is a rare guest on the show in that he didn’t contact me first to get an interview for his book.
I actually bought his newest book The One Thing at an airport because it came so highly recommended.
And I am loving everything I’m reading in it.
In our conversation, we confront the myth of work-life balance.
Jay suggests that there is no balance to be had, and if we want to be excellent at work, we need to be out of balance – and then counter-balance in the rest of our lives.
I loved getting to know Jay during this interview and respect him so much for his work and way of being.
Get ready to open your mind to a new way of working and being in Episode 176 with Jay Papasan.
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher Radio or TuneIn
The School of Greatness Podcast
“The idea of work-life balance is being sold to us as a destination.”
Some questions I ask:
- What is the biggest challenge that entrepreneurs who are up to big things face?
- Is work-life balance impossible?
- How do you identify your “one thing?”
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- The disappearance of the boundary between work and home (with the introduction of technology)
- Why female entrepreneurs especially struggle with work-life balance
- Why it’s ok to be out of balance professionally
- The idea of counter-balance to help you focus on the one thing and stay healthy
- How multi-tasking saps our productivity
- Lies About Productivity
3. Big is bad
- The idea behind thinking bigger than you ever have
- The focusing question: What is the one thing I can do such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?
- How to make it easy to say no to distractions
- Where you are going should inform what you are doing right now
- How high achievers plan out their next steps (working backwards)
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- The ONE Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results
- AJ Yager
- Gary Keller
- Shift: How Top Real Estate Agents Tackle Tough Times
- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
- The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom
- Pencils of Promise
- Chris Ducker
- FOLLOW JAY
- Music Credit: JPB – High by CopyrightFreeNetwork
You may also like these episodes:
- What Mindfulness and Daydreaming Have To Do with Getting Things Done
- How to Boost Your Productivity by Procrastinating
- The Power of Emotional Courage to Transform Your Habits with Peter Bregman
Did you enjoy the podcast?
I’ve thought a lot about work-life balance, but what Jay said really made me think. Do you think it’s possible? What’s the one thing you are going to focus on?
“I’d rather say no to 100 good opportunities than say yes to a bad one.”
let us know your thoughts