I’ve never seen someone turn their life around as much as Graham Holmberg.
I’ve known Graham for nearly 10 years, and he had a completely different attitude and mindset on life back then.
One of the best athletes I know, I’d watch him chew tobacco and drink his way through college as we’d play Dave Matthews and Bob Marley on our acoustic guitars out of his second floor apartment balcony.
I knew he wasn’t giving his all back then, and his attitude, although wasn’t horrible, didn’t give him the best opportunity to achieve greatness.
Until one day he decided to turn it all around.
The School of Greatness Podcast
From that day forward, he won the CrossFit Games, claiming the title as the “Fittest Man on Earth”. The CrossFit Games is arguably one of the most challenging physical contests known to man.
Graham and I played wide receiver at Capital University in Columbus, Ohio. We partied hard, had many late nights playing poker in the college dorms and each have some embarrassing (and fun) stories about one another.
He was a beast in the weight room during college, so after I got injured playing professional football I turned to him to help me get back in shape. He helped me lose the weight I put on and got me back on track as a peak performer. The workouts we were doing were based on this new thing he was getting into called CrossFit, and this style of working out has transformed my life ever since.
Graham won the CrossFit Games in 2010 and has been a force of nature and a leader in the community every since.
This interview took place in early 2012 before we went head to head on the workout “Fight Gone Bad” where Graham whipped my butt easily (special shout out to the team over at Progenex for helping me recover after workouts ever since!). I hope you guys enjoy this interview as much as I enjoyed doing it with my good friend.
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- What makes Graham so passionate about CrossFit
- About Graham’s athletic focused youth
- The mentality of what shapes a world class athlete
- Why partying in college distracted Holmberg from his baseball and football goals
- What made Holmberg decide to stop the lack of focus and get more organized
- How focus helped him to become a far greater athlete and overall man
- Whether you can drink and use tobacco and still play at the highest levels
- His path to the 2010 CrossFit Championship – Surprise Failures and Fighting Back
- The mindset of coming back after a big loss
- What separated Graham at the finish line in 2010
- What motivates Graham to work so hard and his relationship with the Lord
- What makes the difference between 1st and 2nd place
- If you are born with the capacity for championship or you train for it
- The World’s Fittest Man’s definition for success
- Inspiring advice for upcoming young athletes and business people
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Check out Graham’s Facebook Page
- Connect with Graham on Twitter – @GrahamHolmberg
- Graham on YouTube
- Learn more about CrossFit
- More of the CrossFit Games
Here’s some fun videos where you can watch this beast of a man workout
Did you enjoy the podcast?
If you enjoyed this interview, make sure to check out our other podcasts here:
How do you feel after learning about Graham’s story? Do you have a similar story when you had a moment in your life where you turned it all around? Please let me know in the comments section below (and if you are a CrossFit fan, leave a comment as well