Interested in learning how to build a life and business around doing what you love? So am I. Let’s connect.
If I were to ask you what one characteristic makes the biggest difference in how you deal with and get through hard things, what would you answer?
Maybe strength or faith or perspective?
Would you have thought of resilience?
I wouldn’t have, until I talked to today’s guest on The School of Greatness, the incredible Eric Greitens.
Eric’s list of accolades is long, but among some of them are that he is a Navy SEAL, a PhD, a Rhodes scholar, an author, and a hopeful for Missouri governor.
His newest book is all about how resilience is the characteristic that gets us through the hard stuff – how we process pain in the moment and after.
Eric is no stranger to this, as he recounts in our conversation Navy SEAL training, his travels around the world photographing war torn areas, and working with veterans with PTSD.
I could have talked to Eric for hours and took plenty of notes, so I expect you to do the same.
Get ready to have your eyes opened and learn life-changing insight about resilience in Episode 157 with Eric Greitens.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- What made you decide to become a Navy SEAL?
- What are some strategies for becoming mentally resilient?
- Do you have to endure struggle to acquire resilience?
- Why is a mantra better than a manifesto?
- What do you mean by “not all pain matters?”
- How can you optimize the experience of extreme pain?
- Why is living a life of service so important for people to understand?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Navy SEAL training – what it’s really like
- The power of taking the focus off of yourself and onto your purpose during a challenge
- The idea of segmenting an overwhelming challenge: breaking it down into small enough pieces that you have one you can start with right now
- Mental rehearsal: teaching yourself how to worry
- Resilience is the virtue that helps you get better when things are hard
- The difference between pain that distracts you and pain that helps you grow
- Why the first step towards resiliency is taking responsibility
- The downside of making excuses to deal with pain (you can’t run in a suit of armor)
- The power of breathing to help you get through pain (yes, this is for real)
- How writing a fear down takes away some of its power over you
- Why you need to build a system to remind yourself of the things you know
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Resilience: Hard-Won Wisdom for Living a Better Life
- Ryan Holiday
- American Sniper
- Eric Hoffer
- The Mission Continues
- FOLLOW ERIC
- Music Credit: Space Junk by OmegaMode
You may also like these episodes:
- Why Anger, Guilt, and Fear Cultivate Success (and the Art of Emotional Agility)
- How to Overcome Obstacles and Achieve Peak Performance (Like a Spartan)
- The Science of Healing Emotional Injuries
Did you enjoy the podcast?
Wow. This interview really stuck with me. I completely believe in what Eric talked about regarding resilience and its importance. How have you experienced resilience in your life?