Want to build a life and business around doing what you love? Me too. Let’s connect.
We talk a lot about building businesses, physical health, and a champion’s mindset on The School of Greatness.
What we don’t talk about as often is the part of greatness that is harder to define and explain: spirituality.
But that’s not because it’s not important.
I had never heard of today’s guest until a friend told me I had to get him on the show.
And once I learned about him, I agreed.
Rob Bell is an author, pastor, and incredible human being who has not only built one of the fastest growing churches in America, but become a voice for anyone who is seeking to understand faith and spirituality in today’s world.
He has authored several books on these subjects, done shows with Oprah, and toured the world at concert venues giving stand-up performances about spirituality, religion, and faith.
Our conversation goes everywhere, from his early days as a musician in a band to why he left his massive church in Michigan to come to LA.
I open up about my own faith journey and we discuss the hows and whys of religion and faith in general.
If you’ve ever wondered why good things happen to bad people or how to make sense of life, you’ll love this Episode 175 with Rob Bell.
Subscribe on iTunes, Stitcher Radio or TuneIn
The School of Greatness Podcast
“Spirituality is awareness that life is a gift and how you respond matters.”
Some questions I ask:
- How many people showed up to your first Sunday service at your church?
- What was it like to be on stage in the center of thousands of people singing?
- Can you define spirituality?
- What’s the difference between religion and spirituality?
- Why do so many religions have such a bad rap?
- Do you think everyone wants a sense of wonder?
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- The difference between a sermon and an experience (performance art)
- How Rob started a church in a warehouse at 28 years old in Michigan with no advertising
- How he learned how to avoid burnout and live sustainably
“Humans tend to create institutions that get in the way of being human.”
- The story of how he turned a mall into his next church building (and got it for free)
- How he got the courage to leave his massively successful church at the height of its success
- How he reads the Bible (literately – in context)
- Why we feel close to God in nature
- What happens to us when we live in a completely man-made world
- Why people leave huge successful jobs to do something more meaningful
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- The Everything is Spiritual Tour
- Mars Hill
- Carlton Cues
- Kent Dobson
- God Calling by A. J. Russell
- Abraham Joshua Heschel
- The Divine Conspiracy: Rediscovering Our Hidden Life In God
- Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal
- Holy Bible: King James Version
- FOLLOW ROB
- Music Credit: Deep House ~ To Get Us Thru It by Merrit_Ellen
You may also like these episodes:
- The Shocking Truth About Spirituality, Religion, and Faith (and Why We Should Care)
- Simple Ways to Overcome Stress from Unmet Expectations in Life with Christine Hassler
- Lissa Rankin: How to Heal Yourself with the Power of Your Mind
Did you enjoy the podcast?
I could have talked to Rob for hours and can’t wait to have him back on the show. The stuff we talked about is so important! What opened up for you during this episode?
“If your God isn’t as big as your science, you’re in trouble.”
let us know your thoughts