Becoming Superman: Unlocking the Science of Ultimate Human Performance with Steven Kotler30 comments
Every athlete performs at his best when he is “in the zone” and reaches flow.
It’s one of the most beautiful moments to watch when athletes reach flow state – it’s an eye watering symphony in motion.
This magical place is the best feeling on earth and its addictive nature is why we’ve seen so many amazing feats performed in extreme sports, and many brutal accidents as well.
I’ve always been passionate about getting in the zone and this week on The School of Greatness I have an expert guest with intimate knowledge of what it means to be in flow.
He is a New York Times Bestselling author who has overcome some extreme challenges to become the foremost expert on high performance. Welcome to episode 53 with Steven Kotler.
The School of Greatness Podcast
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- WHAT IS FLOW
- Decoding the science of ultimate human performance
- Strategies for getting into the zone/being in flow
- Forms of Flow States: In the Zone, Runner’s High, In the Pocket, The Forever Box…
- Steven’s struggles with lime disease and the amazing story of how he overcame it with surfing
- Understanding the exponential growth of human performance over the past 50 years
- The unknown history of the research of flow
- About the dynamics of group flow
- What triggers flow
- How cocaine and skydiving are similar, but the huge difference
- A source code of intrinsic motivation
- My flow story of breaking a World Record
- The Four Stages of Flow:
- Memory Learning & Consolidation Phase
- Where people screw up when Flow Hacking
- Why being in flow enhances long term memory retention
- How snipers use flow to increase skill acquisition by 230%
- To understand the extreme danger and responsibility inherent in seeking flow states.
- 3 Environmental Triggers that Action/Adventure sports athletes pull from
- High Consequence
- Rich Environment
- Deep Embodiment
- How to successfully transition from a high flow position (Pro Athlete/Extreme Sports) to a lesser extreme version
- Building innovation teams with flow
- Helpers high, a flow state that can last for days
- What it means to be a Bliss Junky
- Understanding Challenge vs. Skills dynamic and where the optimal performance balance is
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Learn more about Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi the flow researcher
- Learn more about the Flow Genome Project
- Pick up a copy of The Rise of Superman: Decoding the science of ultimate human performance
- Check out the awesome bonus extravaganza with over $100,000 in prizes
- Connect with Steven Kotler
- Music Credit: Being Human by Skrux ft. Mona Moua (Arkana Remix)
Did you enjoy the podcast?
What did you love most about this episode? Have you ever reached Flow in your life? If so, what was the most memorable time and how often do you reach it? Please share your thoughts in the comment section below and share this article with your friends online.