If you grew up or have lived in the U.S., you know what a big deal basketball is.
To make it into the NBA is extremely challenging.
To win games consistently is even harder because the season is so long and there are so many games and the risk of injury is high.
To make it to the top and land huge contracts is even harder because there’s so much talent out there to compete with.
But Mike Conley Jr has done all of this – while being a husband, father, family man, and overall great guy.
How does he do it?
That’s just one reason I was super excited to have him on The School of Greatness.
Mike grew up seeing what a champion looks like (his dad was an Olympic gold medalist), but he has learned on his own how to craft a personal formula for success.
In our conversation we talked about the simple but effective ways he preps for games, recovers from losses, and keeps focused on what is most important to him amidst all the noise of pro sports.
I had a ton of respect for this guy before I interviewed him (he played for Ohio State after all) but I have even more after meeting and talking with him.
I’m proud to bring you this Episode 430 with NBA star Mike Conley.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- What was your most memorable moment from high school until now? (6:33)
- How did growing up with a gold medalist (as a father) affect the way you looked at success? (7:45)
- When you have a loss, do you start to doubt yourself? (10:35)
- How do you manage people in your network and friendships asking you for money and support as you get more successful? (17:15)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How to cultivate a champion’s mindset (9:13)
- Mike’s pre-game ritual to get his mindset ready (11:58)
- How to get back on track if you feel off from your usual game (14:23)
- What Mike is proud of off the court (15:42)
- Non-negotiables that Mike does every day (18:29)
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Download the Headspace app for a happier, healthier life at http://headspace.com/greatness
- Get a free supply of 20 travel packs of Athletic Greens with your first order at http://athleticgreens.com/greatness
- Music Credit: Adventure by JJD
You may also like these episodes:
- Maria Sharapova on Being a Champion On and Off the Court
- TJ Dillashaw: Inside the Mind of a UFC World Champion
- Ray Lewis on Success and The Mindset of True Greatness
Did you enjoy the podcast?
Wow, I still am thinking about how humble and focused Mike is.