Alex Day: Hacking the Music Industry by Leveraging YouTube to Skip a Record Label8 comments
Topping the charts of the UK we have a YouTube Star this week on the The School of Greatness.
He is a young gun from the United Kingdom currently living in London and he is best known for a a song he wrote and produced called Forever Yours in 2011 that sold over 50,000 copies in a week… without a big record label promoting it.
His name is Alex Day.
The School of Greatness Podcast
After selling 50,000 copies as an unsigned artist he made it to #4 on the U.K. charts. It didn’t happen overnight as he built up a great audience on YouTube over a number of years. Currently he has almost 700,000 subscribers and today he is going to share some great ideas on how he built this audience, how he has leveraged it and grown his businesses through the power of YouTube and online in general.
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- What Alex’s original goal was in making YouTube videos
- How Alex grew his YouTube subscribers to over 670,000
- What the death of Steve Jobs ment to Alex
- Alex’s path from producing his first songs to trying to become #1
- What it was like to be in league with the most popular artists in the world
- How the rankings work for topping the charts
- How he hacked the music system to double his sales
- His strategy for reaching out to the media
- How Alex perceives his audience and why he connects with people
- The mindset for Alex’s consistency
- How his conversation went with the record industry
- How Alex gets his work produced and marketed: independently
- Alex’s advice for the independent artists
- The importance of authenticity
- How Alex makes money online
- Alex’s expectations for the future of the music industry
- All about the new Happy Pop genre
- How Alex defines greatness
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- World Vision – Alex’s Charity
- Sopio Cards – Alex’s Card Game
- Life Scouts – Alex’s Badge Collection Community
- Subscribe to Alex’s YouTube Channel
- Read this excellent guest post by Alex on Hack the System
Did you enjoy the podcast?
So what do you think? Is it just luck that Alex was able to do this by getting on YouTube at “the right time” or can you see how over time through consistent action you can build and leverage an audience the way Alex has? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.