I heard about today’s guest on The School of Greatness long before I finally got to meet her.
She is a master (and student) of storytelling, especially when it comes to big presentations and speeches.
Nancy Duarte is the founder of the design firm Duarte, Inc. which has consulted companies and leaders like Apple, Google, GE, and so many more to create the speeches and presentations that have shaped the brands we love.
She is also the author of 4 books about how to do this. The most recent one is all about how leaders can use storytelling to enroll their teams to follow their vision. It’s powerful stuff.
That is just one reason I was really excited to talk to Nancy on this episode.
We talked about what choices leaders have to make that can be unpopular in their organizations because they see further along the path than the rest of their team. Nancy then explained how using powerful stories, symbology, ceremonies, and speeches can turn the tide of a change like that to transform an entire organization.
She gave great examples as we talked; I know you’ll love them as much as I did.
No matter if you lead a small team or are head of a huge organization, this interview is powerful for anyone who has a big vision in Episode 350 with Nancy Duarte.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- Who do you think is one of the most successful leaders at bringing their travelers along with them? (2:12)
- How many speeches does a leader of a small company need to give a year? (2:45)
- What is a torchbearer? (11:28)
- How do you cultivate a dreamstate to allow yourself to dream big? (24:19)
- How does ceremony fit into your business? (27:45)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- Why using speeches, stories, and symbols is so helpful for leaders of organizations (1:30)
- The reasons most small businesses fail within the first 5 years (4:22)
- The 3 stages of a story (10:10)
- How to feel empathy for your audience (18:04)
- The difference between enlisting and enrolling people into your leadership (39:20)
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Check out DesignCrowd to get bids on your perfect custom design at http://www.designcrowd.com/greatness
- Check out Organifi, my favorite healthy green juice mix, and get 20% off when you use the code “lewis”
JOIN ME IN OCTOBER FOR THE SUMMIT OF GREATNESS!! REGISTER HERE
- Music Credit: Sea You Soon by Adam Hinden & Cinnafin
You may also like these episodes:
- The Power of Storytelling with Donald Miller
- Tell Your Story and Steal the Show with Michael Port
- Simon Sinek: Why Leaders Eat Last
Did you enjoy the podcast?
What stories will you tell to enroll people in your leadership?