The Shocking Truth About Spirituality, Religion and Faith (and why we should care)43 comments
When people start talking about religion and spirituality, it can get awkward.
But it doesn’t have to be that way.
In fact, it shouldn’t be. Exploring and discovering what faith and spirituality are about is essential to human progress.
That’s why I brought on a very special guest today for Episode 98 of The School of Greatness.
Krista Tippett is one of the leading voices in American radio on this very topic. She is a former freelance foreign correspondent for the New York Times, a Peabody Award-winning broadcaster and a New York Times bestselling author.
In our open and fascinating conversation, she discusses what she has learned about humanity in her ten-years of hosting OnBeing, a top-rated iTunes podcast about faith.
The School of Greatness Podcast
“Compassion is learned and gained and accumulated through what goes wrong.” Click to Tweet
In This Episode, You Will Discover:
- Her thoughts on the number of religions in the world
- How she views sacred texts
- How beauty is a litmus test in religion
- Why uncertainty is important in spiritual progression
“Theology is this fabulous repository of human thinking about hard huge questions.” Click to Tweet
- What she has learned about herself in ten years of studying spirituality
- The words that are missing from American culture that are part of greatness
- Where the word compassion comes from
- The purpose of pain and suffering in our lives
“The things that go wrong for you have a lot of potential to become part of your gift to the world.”
- Einstein’s concept of time and how it relates to our self-perception
- Why we are obsessed with perfection if we are all flawed
- How 9/11 forced Americans to deal with vulnerability
“Every moment, in fact, is not defining.” Click to Tweet
- The effect of the internet on our society and our responsibility for it
- The essential human questions that we must ask ourselves
- How she changed from her own struggle with perfectionism and depression
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Read Krista’s books Einstein’s God: Conversations About Science and the Human Spirit and Speaking of Faith: Why Religion Matters–and How to Talk About It
- Check out her podcast OnBeing
- Watch her Ted Talk Reconnecting with Compassion
- Connect with Krista
- Music Credit: Pinnacle by HUM3N
Did you enjoy the podcast?
This episode really got me thinking about my own spirituality and the role of faith. What are your thoughts? What people and ideas have enlightened you about spirituality? I’d love to hear them in the comments below.
“Religion is a particularly revealing canvas for the whole sweep of the human condition.” Click to Tweet