We’ve got another big podcast host on The School of Greatness today.
He doesn’t host a business podcast. It’s not about fitness and optimum health.
But it is about mental health . . . and lifestyle.
Joshua Fields Millburn is the co-founder of The Minimalists, which has become a hugely popular podcast and lifestyle in the past few years.
I’ve always considered myself a pretty minimal guy with a clean, simple style.
After talking to Joshua though, I started to re-evaluate even my own purchasing decisions and what actually serves me.
Joshua has a pretty amazing story of transitioning from a workaholic, deep in debt, unhappy life full of “stuff” to living with less than 300 items to his name.
He doesn’t even need Internet in his house or data on his phone . . . even though he runs an online business.
I was fascinated by our entire conversation and what Joshua has learned from heading this movement.
One of the things I noticed right away was how calm, happy, and content he is.
And we can all use more of that.
Get ready to re-think your relationship with stuff and how it serves you in Episode 407 with Joshua Fields Millburn.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- Why do you think humans are so wired to be dissatisfied? (20:13)
- Why do we keep buying stuff even though we know it’s not going to fill the holes? (22:15)
- How has the internet increased consumerism? (23:14)
- What brings you the most fulfillment today? (34:47)
- How can someone start trying out minimalism? (40:39)
- How can you make sure you retain the minimalism mindset? (42:37)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How Joshua got into a half million dollars of debt while he was working a successful career (3:49)
- The number of ads each person sees on average per day (22:32)
- How Joshua runs his online business without having internet in his home (25:46)
- Why just getting rid of your stuff won’t bring you peace (30:52)
- The question to ask yourself if you want to try minimalism (35:57)
- What happened when Joshua chose not to buy any material goods besides food and toiletries for a year (43:31)
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things
- Colin Wright
- Leo Babauta
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up
- Cal Newport
- 30 Day Minimalism Game
- Graham Hill
- Rob Bell
- Check out DesignCrowd to get bids on your perfect custom design at http://www.designcrowd.com/greatness
- Music Credit: Galaxy by R&W
You may also like these episodes:
- A.J. Jacobs: Experiments in Lifestyle, Fitness and Self Improvement
- James Altucher: Be Happy, Make Millions, Live the Dream
- The Healing Power of Conquering Your Fear (and How to Do This!)
Did you enjoy the podcast?
I loved the minimalist perspective and how Josh explained it! Are you going to take his 30 day challenge?