Remember the first time you heard about CrossFit?
It might have been from a friend raving about a new kind of gym.
Or hearing about some sort of “games” (that’s where I heard about it).
Or maybe you walked into a CrossFit box yourself and tried it out.
Whether you love CrossFit or not, it has been a massive influence in the fitness industry.
And its founder Greg Glassman says it’s not going anywhere.
Greg emphasizes that he has not created this phenomenon himself — it’s been a huge community effort.
But he is really proud of what kind of people this fitness style has attracted.
I loved diving into the mentality behind the CrossFit community, how and why the business model has worked so well, and how the culture of masculinity has evolved inside CrossFit.
Thanks to Greg for giving some great insights in Episode 412 on The School of Greatness.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Some questions I ask:
- When was the first time you established CrossFit as a thing? (14:11)
- What are the key elements of CrossFit as a business that someone could replicate in their industry? (23:01)
- Are there any big mistakes you wish you could take back in how you’ve built your business? (30:26)
- Do you have a fear that CrossFit will die out? (33:13)
- How do you think CrossFit culture has affected masculinity? (43:13)
- How has masculinity in women been affected by having men and women in the gym together? (49:35)
- Do you think people’s egos are re-trained by CrossFit? (51:42)
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- How many CrossFitters Greg thinks there are currently (7:10)
- Why having less customers rather than more can be a good thing (8:58)
- Why Greg is interested in taking CrossFit to countries like India and Brazil (12:01)
- The marketing power of raving fans who get results (21:03)
- Why it’s important to do functional movement workouts despite the risk of injury (36:01)
- Why Greg likes martial artists better than triathletes (48:04)
- Why CrossFit is so effective at helping women have great body image (54:45)
- The top reasons not to drink soda (1:13:45)
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Download the Headspace app for a happier, healthier life at http://headspace.com/greatness
- Music Credit: Adventure by JJD
You may also like these episodes:
- From Coal Miner to Fitness Cover Millionaire with Cory Gregory
- Train Your Body to Burn Fat and Enjoy Life with Mark Sisson
- How to Overcome Obstacles and Achieve Peak Performance (Like a Spartan)
Did you enjoy the podcast?
Are you a CrossFit fan? Are you going to give it a try after listening to Greg?