What if I told you the key to success was not going after what you wanted, but helping others get what they wanted instead?
Better yet, what if there was research that proved the more you gave of your time and resources willingly to others, that you’d be on your way to achieving your wildest dreams?
It’s hard to believe, but the research shared in this interview will unfold this revolutionary approach to success.
Welcome to episode 15 of The School of Greatness with the man, Adam Grant.
The School of Greatness Podcast
Our Featured Guest
Adam Grant is the youngest tenured professor at the Wharton School of Business. He’s been recognized as Wharton’s single highest rated teacher, one of Business Weeks favorite professors and one of The World’s 40 Best Business Professors Under 40. He was a record setting advertising director at Let’s Go publications, an All-American springboard diver (props to Adam for being an athlete as well) and a professional magician.
Adam Grant’s new book, Give and Take: A Revolutionary Approach to Success hit #2 on the New York Times Bestseller List in the first week.
This is an exciting interview because Adam and I talk about our differences in leveraging LinkedIn and I’d love to hear what side of the coin you fall on.
Grant talks about the power of weak ties and strong ties. Also, the most important relationship that most miss out on which is dormant ties. These are those dormant relationships that are underutilized and we discuss how they can be the biggest opportunities for you.
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- All about the three types of people: Givers, Matchers and Takers
- The downsides that matchers might overlook
- The giving strategies I used to grow my network
- The two different types of givers: The overly altruistic and the “otherish”
- In-person strategies to immediately impact those around you positively
- How to utilize the Law of Reciprocity
- To think about an alternate strategy for reciprocity when helping others
- About generalized reciprocity and how it manifests in day to day life
- A way to view relationship types: strong ties, weak ties and dormant ties
- How to reconnect with dormant ties
- Ideas on whether to connect with strangers on LinkedIn or not
- Adam’s thoughts on self promotion and personal branding
- How confidence and poking fun at yourself can help you achieve success
- Who are the famous givers and the famous takers
- The discussion of whether Steve Jobs was a giver or a taker
- A great example of a givers: John Huntsman Sr.
- Plus much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Give and Take – Website – Book
- Connect with Adam Grant – Twitter – Facebook – Website
- Music Credit: Love Light Music – Mr. Bill (Helsenbogan)
- Nominate a Giver
Did you enjoy the podcast?
Do you consider yourself a giver, matcher or a taker? Do you believe giving is the best way to achieve success long term or is Adam missing something here? Please leave your thoughts in the comments section below and leave us an iTunes Review as well.