Welcome to episode 6 of The School of Greatness.
This episode features someone who I instantly connected with, David Anderson.
I had an instant connection with David because we both played most fun position in football (wide receiver), wore the jersey #4 at some point during our career, played professionally, and have a passion for relationships and business.
Only thing is he played 6 years in the NFL while I played one season with a broken wrist in the AFL.
It goes to show that speed kills and as long as you’ve got the speed, you’ve got a great chance of sticking around in the NFL if you can stay healthy and make plays.
Let me introduce you to (the better dressed, and faster version of myself)… David Anderson.
The School of Greatness Podcast
David recently reached out to me through my site, we met up for lunch in L.A. and instantly hit it off. While he may not look like your typical amazing athlete, (he’s a smaller guy at 5’10” ish) he played at the top level of one of the most competitive and elite leagues in the world, the NFL.
In this podcast we’re going to discuss how he got there, what it was like playing in the NFL, the mindset of some of the best quarterbacks in the world (ever heard of Peyton Manning?) and plenty of other great tips.
In This Episode, You Will Learn:
- About Anderson’s 6 year career in the NFL playing with the Houston Texans, Denver Broncos and with the Washington Redskins.
- How the NFL views “the type of player” Anderson is
- The story of his career and the most exciting game he played during his time at Colorado State
- What it’s like to be a free agent seeking to get picked up
- Advice for parents seeking to raise All-American athletes
- What mentally motivated Anderson to want to be the best
- When Anderson decided to set the goal to play in the NFL and what he did to get there
- How to adapt to the higher speed levels from High School to College and finally in NFL football.
- How to set yourself apart from the rest, yet know your role in the organization
- About the financial situation NFL players find themselves in at the end of the season
- About the astonishing fact that 78% of NFL players go bankrupt 2-3 years after they retire
- The story of Brett Favre‘s $450,000 dollar lost check
- What separates the Peyton Manning‘s from the great athletes who don’t perform as well
- What translates from the football field to the business world
- How confidence, comfort and preparation can give you “Matrix-like” intuition in business and football
- The inside scoop on athletes like Tim Tebow
- David’s picks for the greatest athletes: Lebron James, Reggie Bush and Andre Johnson
- His thoughts on belief in self or a belief in faith
- The risk of exposure to champions: No one boos the mailman
- The importance of networking for NFL players while their careers are on
- The secret passion of Dave Anderson and how it got him in a funny pickle
- What Anderson believes that makes great people great
- Plus, much more…
Continue Seeking Greatness:
- Connect with David on Twitter: @DavidAnderson89
- Connect with David on Linkedin
- Check out David’s Digital Media Company Package Sports Entertainment
Did you enjoy the podcast?
This episode is sponsored by Onnit. Make sure to use “greatness” during your checkout on products to receive 10% off. For athletes, check out Alpha Brain and Shroom Tech (you’ll thank me during your workouts) and if you are just a weekend workout warrior then try Hemp Force… it’s delicious!
Have you had to make a transition from a career that you love and find something new to take on? What was that like and how did you cope with the lose of your passion? Please leave your thoughts in the comments section below, and thanks for sharing!